Thursday 4 June 2020

Recycled tin shrines

I am playing with the idea of using recycled tins to make mini shrines. My first mini shrine is from a sardine tin. It’s the perfect shape.

Sardine tin shrine

You will need

Cleaned out sardine tin.
Gesso
Household emulsion
Glitter glue(optional)
Mini paper flowers with wired stems (I used 16)
Religious icon, puffy sticker, I got mine from Poundland a couple of years ago (you could used a printed image instead.)
Mini Pom Pom trim.
Glue gun

Method

Paint the inside of tin with two coats of gesso to help the paint stick.
Paint 3 coats of emulsion letting it dry thoroughly between layers.
Paint with a layer of glitter glue.
Stick image in bottom of tin.
Twist the flowers together in a small oval, with glue gun, stick flowers around inside edge.
Stick Pom Pom trim around edges.

You could glue craft felt on the back and sides but I like the kitchness of the tin.

I am now looking at my tins in a different way. My next shrine is in a lid from a pickle jar!






                          Flowers twisted into a wreath




 Pom Pom trim and braids.




Finished mini shrine, who would have thought this was from a lid off a jar of pickle!


2 comments:

  1. this is lovely Suzanara, I have tried to do similar, but not to such good effect - I don't know about Gesso - one of the issues was getting the paint to 'take' - so I will look that up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor glad this is useful. Gesso sticks to the surface and provides a key for paint. I use acrylic gesso because it is vegan.

    ReplyDelete