Tuesday 9 June 2020

Rag rug flower

I’ve been playing with rag rugging flowers, something I first did when my craft group yarn bombed the centre of Peterborough in 2016 and they needed large fabric flowers quickly. I don’t have the pictures in situ but these are the flowers I made. 



 These are made by using the rag rug technique, basically pulling 1cm strips of fabric through hessian and building up the flower shape. You do not need to knot the strips in this case as the tightness of the strips next of them hold them in. It’s important therefore to keep your strips very close together. I did cheat later and use glue!





I stuck a Pom Pom in the centre and glued the back to strengthen.


Here the flower is almost done but needs a trim.




I use netting as the last two layers to give the flower some extra floof!

When finished take the flower out of the hoop and trim the hessian.


Glue the ends of the hessian at the back and cover with felt.


Turn over and your flower is finished. It could be used as a fascinator, brooch or framed






x

No comments:

Post a Comment